The No. 10 Nebraska wrestling team will look to get back to its winning ways on Sunday afternoon when the Huskers square off against conference foe Wisconsin. Action will begin at 2 p.m. and will be streamed on B1G+.
The Badgers (7-5, 1-4 Big Ten) come into this weekend with a recent heartbreaking loss to No. 2 Iowa at home on Sunday. In front of a record-breaking crowd, the match was tied 18-18 before the tie-breaker criteria was used and Iowa won, 19-18. This week, Wisconsin features eight ranked grapplers, led by No. 2 Austin Gomez (149).
Nebraska (6-3, 2-1 Big Ten), meanwhile, is coming off its first conference loss of the season, as Iowa defeated NU 34-6 on Jan. 20. Despite the loss, the All-American duo of Peyton Robb (157) and Mikey Labriola (174) extended their impressive undefeated seasons with a pair of decisions.
Saturday’s dual promises to feature high-level wrestling, as 16 ranked wrestlers are slated to compete. If all projected starters wrestle, there will be four top 25 matchups.
Nebraska and Wisconsin meet for the 26th time in series history on Sunday. The Badgers lead the all-time series 12-11-2, but the Huskers have won the last two matchups between the teams. Most recently, Nebraska earned a 22-12 victory last season in Madison, as NU won seven of 10 bouts.
Last Time Out: In the third conference dual of the season, the Nebraska wrestling team (6-3, 2-1 Big Ten) fell at Iowa on Friday night, 34-6.
Up Next: The Huskers hit the road for three duals in a row as the team faces Illinois (Feb. 3), Purdue (Feb. 4) and Ohio State (Feb. 10).
Nebraska’s Projected Lineup*:
|125||#5 Liam Cronin||Gr.||Orange, Calif.||6-2|
|-OR-||Jacob Van Dee||Fr.||Union City, Penn.||1-0|
|133||Boo Dryden||RSr.||Wichita, Kan.||3-2|
|-OR-||Kyle Burwick||RJr.||Hettinger, N.D.||0-3|
|141||#6 Brock Hardy||RSo.||Brigham City, Utah||6-3|
|149||Dayne Morton||Sr.||Gaylord, Minn.||3-5|
|157||#1 Peyton Robb||Jr.||Owatonna, Minn.||9-0|
|165||Adam Thebeau||RFr.||Belleville, Ill.||0-1|
|-OR-||#32 Bubba Wilson||So.||Manhattan, Kan.||1-5|
|174||#2 Mikey Labriola||Sr.||Easton, Pa.||9-0|
|184||#16 Lenny Pinto||RFr.||Stroudsburg, Penn.||4-3|
|-OR-||Brandyn Van Tassell||So.||Mapleton, Utah||0-1|
|197||#20 Silas Allred||RSo.||Muncie, Ind.||6-3|
|HWT||Cale Davidson||Sr.||Wichita, Kan.||3-6|
*InterMat rankings used
Wisconsin’s Projected Lineup*:
|125||#8 Eric Barnett||Sr.||Greenville, Wisc.||13-4|
|133||#29 Taylor LaMont||Gr.||Mapleton, Utah||7-10|
|141||#24 Joseph Zargo||So.||South River, N.J.||9-5|
|-OR-||Felix Lettini||Fr.||Clark, N.J.||2-6|
|149||#2 Austin Gomez||RSr.||Carol Stream, Ill.||11-1|
|157||#18 Garrett Model||Gr.||Stoughton, Wisc.||12-6|
|165||#7 Dean Hamiti||So.||Joliet, Ill.||14-4|
|174||Josh Otto||RJr.||Brookfield, Wisc.||5-10|
|-OR-||Cael Anderson||RFr.||Viroqua, Wisc.||0-0|
|184||Tyler Dow||RSr.||Stoughton, Wisc.||6-9|
|197||#12 Braxton Amos||So.||Mineral Wells, W.V.||13-4|
|HWT||#11 Trent Hillger||Gr.||Holly, Mich.||11-5|
|-OR-||Peter Christensen||Sr.||Norridge, Ill.||4-1|
*InterMat rankings used
Scouting the Badgers:
- Last season, Wisconsin went 12-2 and 6-2 in conference competition, with losses against Nebraska and Iowa, and finished 14th at the NCAA Championships.
- Sophomore Dean Hamiti (165) leads the team in wins with 14 and a 9-2 dual record.
- Coached by Chris Bono (Fifth season at Wisconsin); Record at UW: 40-25, Record overall: 143-83
- Nebraska won its fifth Cliff Keen Invitational team title in program history on Dec. 3.
- Last week, Cronin claimed his first Big Ten and NCAA Wrestler of the Week honor of his career, when the conference and the NCAA announced its award winners.
- Labriola was named the NCAA Wrestler of the Week and the USA Wrestling Athlete of the Week honor, when the award winners were announced last month.
- In this week’s Intermat NCAA Wrestling Rankings, Husker junior Robb takes the top spot at 157 pounds. Senior Labriola and redshirt sophomore Hardy join Robb in the top five rankings as Labriola sits in second at 174 pounds and Cronin is fifth at 125 pounds. Additionally, Hardy (141) is ranked #6, Pinto (184) is ranked #16 and Allred (197) is #20.
- Last month, the Big Red finalized its 2023 recruiting class. Weston Dalton, Ethan DeLeon, Cooper French, Tanner Frothinger, Hampton Kaye-Kuter, Alan Koehler, Kael Lauridsen, Camden McDanel, Matthew Moore, Griffin Ray, Ethan Stiles and Dominic Thebeau will be joining the team for the 2023-24 season.
- Team leaders by category among starters:
- Dual Record: Robb/Labriola (9-0)
- Dual Points: Robb/Labriola (33)
- Dual Takedowns: Labriola (33)
- Pins: Hardy (6)
- Technical Falls: Robb (5)
- Major Decisions: Hardy/Labriola/Pinto (6)
- Quickest Pin: Cronin (0:30)
Baseball/ 20 hours ago
Anderson, Swansen Homer Twice in Sunday Slugfest
Story Links Next Game: North Dakota State 3/28/2023 | 6:05 p.m. Huskers...
Baseball/ 1 day ago
Sunday’s First Pitch vs. Illinois Pushed Back to 2:30 PM
Sunday’s baseball game between Nebraska and Illinois has been pushed back to 2:30 p.m....
Baseball/ 2 days ago
Huskers Clinch Series with Long Ball
Story Links Next Game: Illinois 3/26/2023 | 1:05 p.m. Huskers Radio Network...
You must be logged in to post a comment Login