The Nebraska softball team (24-10, 4-1 Big Ten) is set to host Michigan in a three-game series this weekend, March 31-April 2 at Bowlin Stadium. Game one is set for 3 p.m. on Friday, March 31. On Saturday, the Huskers and the Wolverines will face off at 4 p.m. with live television coverage on the Big Ten Network. Game three will start at 12 p.m. on Sunday, April 2, with live television coverage from Nebraska Public Media.
Fans can listen to all three games live on the Huskers Radio Network and Huskers.com with the call from Nate Rohr. Game one will be streamed on BTN+ (subscription required).
Nebraska currently is in the top three in the Big Ten numerous offensive categories including batting average (.326), runs (187), hits (298), doubles (62), home runs (39), RBI (174), slugging percentage (.533) and on-base percentage (.387).
Junior Billie Andrews leads the Big Red offensive and is among the top five in home runs (11), hits (42) and runs (31). Freshman Katelyn Caneda leads the team with a .398 batting average. Caneda has added 37 hits including six doubles, one triple, two home runs and 24 RBI.
In the circle, Courtney Wallace has been a leader through the first half of the season. Wallace (15-6) has appeared in the circle for 118.2 innings while tallying 71 strikeouts. Sarah Harness (8-3) has added 63.1 innings of work, striking out 70 batters.
Nebraska By the Numbers
- The Huskers lead the Big Ten in shutouts with eight and are ranked 29th in the NCAA.
- NU averages 1.82 doubles per game, a conference-best and a number that ranks sixth in the nation.
- Nebraska is second in the Big Ten in batting average (.326) and is 16th in the NCAA.
- Katelyn Caneda is fifth in the Big Ten with a .398 batting average, a mark that leads the Big Red.
- Billie Andrews is second in the conference and 14th in the NCAA in home runs with 11 through the first half of the season.
- Billie Andrews is second in the conference in extra-base hits.
- Billie Andrews is also third in the conference in hits with 42.
- Caitlynn Neal is third in the Big Ten with 11 doubles.
- Courtney Wallace has recorded the most wins in the conference with 15. She is also sixth in the NCAA.
Opponents By the Numbers
- NU and Michigan share six opponents in Oklahoma State, UCLA, Ohio State, Purdue, Northwestern and Indiana.
- Michigan’s ERA of 2.73 is sixth in the Big Ten Conference. The Wolverine pitchers have combined for 197 strikeouts to 64 walks this season.
- The Wolverines are ranked 13th in the conference with a batting average of .263.
- Lexie Blair leads Michigan with a .372 batting average. Blair has tallied 29 hits including five doubles and one triple. She has also added 13 RBI.
- Keke Tholl has tallied six home runs this season to lead the Wolverines.Tholl also leads the offense with 19 RBI.
- Lauren Derkowski holds a 9-6 record in the circle for Michigan. Derkowski has pitched 92.0 innings, tallying 113 strikeouts. She currently has a 1.83 ERA.
- Jessica LeBeau adds depth to the Wolverine pitching staff, adding 75.1 innings of work. LeBeau holds a 2.97 ERA and 6-7 record.
Husker Quick Hits
- Sarah Harness recorded her 500th career strikeout two weekends ago. The junior has tallied 67 strikeouts this season and has combined for over 500 including her three seasons at Southern Illinois.
- Billie Andrews and Brooke Andrews have recorded a home run in the same game, five times during their careers at Nebraska.
- Billie Andrews has tallied 11 home runs this season, she is now seventh all-time in Nebraska history in career homers with 38.
- Andrews is one of 12 returning players in the NCAA who hit 20 or more home runs last season.
- Sarah Harness recorded a no-hitter against New Mexico on Feb. 24, 2023. It marked the first no-hitter by a Nebraska pitcher since 2016.
- Mya Felder is the only returning Big Ten player who received All-Big Ten, All-Defensive and All-Tournament honors in 2022.
- Courtney Wallace is one of six returning Rawlings/NFCA Gold Glove recipients from last season.
Track and Field/ 1 week ago
Huskers Finish With 20 National Qualifiers
Story Links The Nebraska track and field team secured three more bids to...
Baseball/ 1 week ago
Late Rally Falls Short on Saturday
Story Links Nebraska scored twice and brought the go-ahead run to the...
Football/ 1 week ago
Stacked at ‘Jack’, Nebraska wants ‘twitchy’ linebackers
Gift this article Share this article paywall-free. SAM MCKEWON Omaha World-Herald The terminology slipped...
You must be logged in to post a comment Login