The Nebraska softball team (23-9, 3-0 Big Ten) faces Iowa in a midweek doubleheader on Tuesday, March 28 in Iowa City. The first game is set for 2 p.m. followed by game two at 4:30 p.m. (CT).
Fans can listen to both games live on the Huskers Radio Network and Huskers.com with the call from Nate Rohr. The games will also have live television coverage by the Big Ten Network.
Nebraska currently is in the top three in the Big Ten numerous offensive categories including batting average (.328), runs (176), hits (280), doubles (58), home runs (34), RBI (163), slugging percentage (.527) and on-base percentage (.389).
Nebraska By the Numbers
- The Huskers lead the Big Ten in shutouts with eight and are ranked 22nd in the NCAA.
- NU averages 1.81 doubles per game, a conference-best and a number that ranks sixth in the nation.
- Nebraska is second in the Big Ten in batting average (.328) and is 15th in the NCAA.
- Katelyn Caneda is fifth in the Big Ten with a .407 batting average, a mark that leads the Big Red.
- Billie Andrews is third in the conference and 17th in the NCAA in home runs with 10 through the first half of the season.
- Billie Andrews is second in the conference in extra-base hits.
- Caitlynn Neal is third in the Big Ten with nine doubles.
- Mya Felder and Caitlynn Neal are tied for fifth-most hits in the conference.
- Courtney Wallace has recorded the most wins in the conference with 14. She is also eighth in the NCAA.
Opponents By the Numbers
- Iowa holds a .300 batting average, which ranks fifth in the Big Ten.
- The Hawkeyes are third in the conference with a 2.07 ERA.
- Nebraska and Iowa share seven common opponents this season in UCLA, CSUN, Omaha, Northwestern, Maryland, Iowa State and Wisconsin.
- Nia Carter leads the Hawkeye offense as she is hitting .495 with 55 hits including six doubles, one triple and 10 RBI.
- Denali Loecker has smashed seven homers this season, the most by a Hawkeye in 2023.
- Breanna Vasquez holds a 1.73 ERA and 10-2 record in the circle. The fifth-year senior has made the most appearances in the circle for the Hawkeyes, pitching 73.0 innings.
- Jalen Adams has seen the second-most innings, pitching 64.2 innings. Adams holds a 1.73 ERA and a 4-7 record.
Husker Quick Hits
- Sarah Harness recorded her 500th career strikeout two weekends ago. The junior has tallied 67 strikeouts this season and has combined for over 500 including her three seasons at Southern Illinois.
- Billie Andrews has tallied 10 home runs this season, she is now seventh all-time in Nebraska history in career homers with 37.
- Andrews is one of 12 returning players in the NCAA who hit 20 or more home runs last season.
- Sarah Harness recorded a no-hitter against New Mexico on Feb. 24, 2023. It marked the first no-hitter by a Nebraska pitcher since 2016.
- Mya Felder is the only returning Big Ten player who received All-Big Ten, All-Defensive and All-Tournament honors in 2022.
- Courtney Wallace is one of six returning Rawlings/NFCA Gold Glove recipients from last season.
Track and Field/ 4 days ago
Huskers Finish With 20 National Qualifiers
Story Links The Nebraska track and field team secured three more bids to...
Baseball/ 4 days ago
Late Rally Falls Short on Saturday
Story Links Nebraska scored twice and brought the go-ahead run to the...
Football/ 4 days ago
Stacked at ‘Jack’, Nebraska wants ‘twitchy’ linebackers
Gift this article Share this article paywall-free. SAM MCKEWON Omaha World-Herald The terminology slipped...
You must be logged in to post a comment Login